Alexander County Animal Services is proud to work with local veterinarians as part of the low-cost spay and neuter voucher program in order to make altering pets more affordable for pet owners.
Participating in the Program:
• Spay and neuter vouchers for dogs and cats can be purchased for $80 at the shelter.
• Come to the shelter on Waggin Trail to fill out the paperwork and pay the fee to sign up for the program
• We will make you an appointment for the surgery at one of the participating veterinary hospitals
• Your pet will need to be current on a rabies vaccination before the day of surgery
• You will take the voucher, your pet and his or her current rabies certificate to the veterinary hospital the morning of surgery
• There may be additional fees due if the pet is over 65 lbs, a senior, or pregnant. These fees and any other additional fees can be discussed with the staff at the veterinary hospital the day of surgery. Any fees over and above the $80 voucher fee is payable to the veterinary hospital the day of surgery.
Participating Veterinary Clinics are:
Alexander County Animal Services
Stony Point Animal Hospital
Spaying/neutering of all pets is encouraged at an early age for the better health of the pet. It has been documented that early spaying of females alleviates health issues later such as mammary tumors. The early neutering of males will reduce the incidence of prostate problems, testicular cancer and discourage territory marking, running off issues, etc.
Spaying/neutering, most importantly, helps greatly reduce our current overpopulation problem.